Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

East Leyden Pieces Showcased At Triton Art Competition

On January 21 through February 13, the best of East Leyden students’ artwork will be competing at the Triton Community College Art Competition and Exhibit in the art gallery in Building J.

The art competition and exhibit is open to the public between January 21 through February 13 with a reception for the artists and their guests on February 13 from 6pm-9pm.

At the gallery there will be 200 pieces of artwork from different high schools around the area being judged in their category. These categories are drawing, painting, design/computer, sculpture, ceramics, photography, printmaking, fiber arts, jewelry, and mixed media.

For the pieces in the art competition, each teacher from different schools chose 12 pieces. Each piece is in the running for a yellow ribbon, red ribbon, and blue ribbon with each ribbon representing 3rd, 2nd and 1st place, respectively.

Although there is no prize for any of the awards, award winners will have the recognition of being Best of Category or Best of Show.

To win Best of Show, the piece must first win Best of Category.

As for the judging, there are 3 judges that vote on the pieces, and they judges are never the same judges for each year. There is no set criteria so recognition is based on the judges’ perspective and what they believe deserves an award.

Last year, teachers were able to watch as the pieces were being judged and by the end of the day they would find out what pieces got awards. This year, teachers will not be able to watch the judging and have to wait to find out the award winners sometime next week.