Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained” Meets Instant Success

The story of “Django Unchained”, written and directed by Quentin Tarantino, takes place three years before the Civil War. In the opening of the movie, the main character, Django (Jamie Foxx), is a slave who is on his way to another plantation. He encounters Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), who is a bounty hunter on the hunt for the Brittle brothers, but only Django known their whereabouts and what they look like. After finding and killing the Brittle brothers, Dr. King asks Django to tag along with him till winter is over, and then they will go and save Broomhilda (Kerry Washington) whom is Django’s wife. In their journey to save Broomhilda, the two men develop a friendship, and together they work to reunite Django with his wife.

Quentin has done a wonderful job of connecting “Django Unchained” to the original “Django” filmed back in 1966 by bringing in Franco Nero’s character, Django, from the original “Django”. Though the plots and characters are different, Tarantino pays homage to the original by reusing the main character’s name, Django.  Another interesting element was during the scene when Django is first learning how to be a bounty hunter.  He mentions the name Crazy Koon, which is a character from another Tarantino film, “Pulp Fiction”, where Captain Koons was played by Christopher Walken.

Overall “Django” was a good movie with a budget of $100,000,000, and went on to win awards such as the Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay – Motion Picture and Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor for Christoph Waltz’s performance as Dr. King Schultz. On a personal note, I would give it a 9 out of 10 because, despite its great action scenes, there were some errors in terms of the setting which were a bit distracting. Still, a great guy flick overall.