Rock On!

Adventure Ed heads to Vertical Endeavors

Nick Elliott, Reporter

East Leyden’s Adventure Education students recently went on a field trip to Vertical Endeavors Indoor Rock Climbing Facility. The field trip took place on December 5th and cost 15 dollars to attend. The Glendale Heights location which Adventure Education students visited opened their doors this summer. Upon opening, Vertical Endeavors in Glendale Heights claimed the title of “Largest Indoor Climbing Gym in the U.S.” The facility offers bouldering areas, auto belays, top ropes, and lead climbing. There is also a pro shop located on site, which is stocked with the latest and greatest climbing gear and equipment.

Senior Alma Domazet summarized her Vertical Endeavors orientation experience. “The first thing we had to do when we got there, was go through the orientation process. Everyone had to sign a waiver, walk throughout the entire facility, and show that we knew how to clip on and use the auto belay.” she shared. “Walking around and seeing all the equipment and people having fun made me wanted to just start climbing already!”

“The atmosphere at Vertical Endeavors is really energetic. Right after orientation, an instructor showed us how to use the equipment and gave us tips to conquer the top of the wall. All of the tips were very useful, and helped my friends and I reach the top!” said junior Amanda Zysko.

“All of the instructors that helped our group were very friendly. They taught us grips, like the ring grip or pinch grip, to use for certain rocks and suggested how and where to place our feet,” added senior Julia Janczyk.

In order to get opportunities like rock climbing while they should be in school, those who are not enrolled in Adventure Education should highly consider signing up for this class next year.

“This field trip is one of the funnest days I have had at Leyden. I got to conquer heights, be with my friends, and take a break from school for a day.” revealed senior Samantha Caputo.

“This field trip is definitely meant to teach students something they will use later in their lives. It highlights the objectives of Adventure Ed. By rock climbing, students learn to challenge themselves mentally and physically and support their classmates.” stated Adventure Education teacher Michael Fazio.

Lowerclassmen, don’t miss the Vertical Endeavors field trip next year! Rock climb on!