Certification Approved

Certification+Approved

Zitlali Montiel Martinez, Editor

Certifications_(3)Leyden always does its best to help prepare students for the future and for any plans after high school, whether it be college or a job. This effort varies from department to department. Most departments, including Business, Art, Industrial Technology, and FACS offer certifications that could help boost resumes for high school graduates.

These certifications can help students stand out amongst other possible candidates because many schools/jobs require some sort of certification for that field. Those students that take advantage of this opportunity have a higher chance of succeeding in their field. Industrial Technology chairperson Mr. Frank Holthouse shared a story of a recent graduate, Greg, who earned his NIMS credential. Greg worked at Qualiseal and OSG Tool during high school and continued into college at UIC for Mechanical engineering. He is nearly done with college, and he already has work experience that directly relates to what he wants to do.

Senior Rohan Qureshi took Autos II this year because of his interest in cars. After being in this class for a little over half the semester, he learned new skills such as working on an engine and changing and balancing tires. He explains, “I see myself using these skills on my own car, or helping out other friends/family with theirs.” The skills he’s learned up until now in the autos class are very useful because he owns his own 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit and will have some background knowledge when it comes down to figuring out problems with his car. A reason he likes Autos II is the hands on experience that comes along with this class. Instead of sitting in a classroom he’s been able to learn how to change the oil, a key skill “because learning yourself can save you money [instead of] changing it through a shop.” Although Rohan hasn’t take this class for a full semester, he still feels “very prepared using these skills post high school because of the several classes I have taken of Autos.”

In regards with the certification for this elective, the ASE Student Certification is offered to Leyden students who are in the final stages of their career path. These so-called “final stages” are classes such as Autos II, Construction, PLTW IED Honors, and Metals II. Although these are a few classes in the Industrial Technology department, other departments may have different requirements and opportunities to offer certifications.

If you’re currently taking any of these classes or plan to do so, ask the teacher about a chance to get your certification in your desired field.