ACT Stress? Remember the Retake

Errol Lucas, Reporter

Dear Juniors:

All of us seniors have experienced the ACTs before one way or another. We have been through the most stressful time of our high school career, and now you are going to approach the ACTs. You may be in the ACT prep class, but you’ll still stress out on the actual day. We’re here to tell you that you don’t need to freak out. There’s always the retake option.

And for those who’ve taken the tests multiple times, like senior Jared Eisenmann, the retake is a powerful IMG_6770thing.

“ACT is a proposed way for colleges to determine student’s future success, but it’s blatantly obvious that isn’t always true. Nonetheless, when it comes down to picking between students who’ve shown off academic superiority, club membership, and other community based involvement, colleges may resort to the ACT score to make their final decision. It is important, therefore, to have a successful ACT score, making it extremely difficult for colleges to pass you by. There is no excuse for a poor ACT score; there are virtually endless opportunities to improve upon and meaningfully retake the ACT. Don’t let this score come back to haunt you; challenge yourself and ‘play the game’ that is ACT,” Eisenmann expressed.

photoSenior, Lorenz Cagbabanua thinks spending time retesting is not a
bad as people say it is, but it does require a lot of patience and reading.

“The fact that I wanted to do better to get a better score really influenced me to retake it,” Cagbabanua explained. He also explained on how the first ACT test you take, you will be nervous and full of stress when really you are stressing over nothing.

“My mindset changed [after the first test] in that I felt better with what I was getting myself into and was more mentally prepared,” Lorenz said. He also stated that he didn’t have any plans before going into the ACT, but how the first test led him to a goal for scores on future tests and started him to seriously consider what
he’s doing after high school.

“My plan is to go to Triton to get Gen Eds out of the way then transfer to a good school to study Biomedical Engineering,” Cagbabanua explained.

Another college-bound senior, Ariana Cardenas shared her story and gave some advice to juniors on considering retakes:

“My story is that I get super nervous when it comes to tests, especially because everyone created so much ‘hype’ over it. The economic standpoint is what made me retake it. I need as much scholarship money as I could get to avoid student debt,” Cardenas stated. She also explained how overwhelming it is during ACT prep and taking her first ACT test, “Having ACT twice a week, babysitting after ACT Prep at least once a week, sports, clubs, and homework quickly became a struggle.”

While doing well the first time is a great “Plan A,” Cardenas believes “Plan B” should always be an option.

With retakes, “Plan B” might even improve. With her first tests, Cardenas had plans to “pursue a career in education, four year college, and eventually return to get my Master’s.”

After retaking the test for a third time, her plans excelled even further.  “Based on my ACT,” she said, “I’ll be fortunate enough to go to Elmhurst College this upcoming fall and pursue my dream in becoming a Speech Pathologist, a six-years Master’s degree, Hopefully graduating with minimal (if not any) student debt.”

Sincerely, Class of 2016