Happiness #2

Samantha Caputo, Co-Editor-In-Chief

This past week, I have been not looking so deep into happiness, but instead, looking at what makes people happy.

It’s very hard to narrow down what can make someone happy because everyone is different, but according to Dr. Martin Seligman happiness is something that is mostly achieved individually. He states that there are “5 key ingredients to universal happiness:”

1. Positive emotions
  2. Engagement
  3. Positive relationships
  4. Meaning
  5. Accomplishment

Having these 5 key ingredients has shown to help people have a higher income, set and achieve more goals, have less stress, are more energetic, and live longer. These are just a few of the abilities that come along with happiness.

Campaigns such as Acts of Happiness are having people take a minute out of their own lives to make someone elses day better because sometimes all you need is a long hug, a smile in the hall, or even just listening to someone talk to you for a few minutes.

Something great that not everyone takes advantage of at Leyden are Kindness Thursdays. They are a great way for students to get involved at Leyden, meet new people, and spread happiness. All you need is a sign or poster to share positivity around the school! I urge you to step out of your comfort zone and go make someone elses day today because if happiness is all its cracked up to be, shouldn’t it be spread?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathycaprino/2014/03/20/why-the-world-needs-a-happiness-campaign-to-live-better/