Freshmen on the Hunt

Crystal Iniguez, Reporter

Over the past two week, freshman ACCESS advisories completed their annual scavenger hunt. If you stayed after school last Friday, you may have seen them around the hallways. You may remember during your freshmen year in ACCESS you had to go around the entire school with a bunch of clues. If you don’t remember, the idea of the scavenger hunt is to help the freshman navigate around the school better. Access Coordinator Ms. Beth Pater created the clues to help the freshman determine where each area is. Many of the advisors and mentors feel that this activity helps the freshman out during the first couple weeks of school.

freshman3Crystal Iniguez
Ms. Marisa Kapinos, a science teacher at Leyden, said, “I think it helps them get to know the school better. We tell them, ‘This is where this is, and this is where that is.’ Actually, having them visit gives them a better idea where things are and who they are for whatever they need.” The activity has been in the ACCESS program since the mentoring program started ten years ago. The reason that the activity is at the beginning of the year is because all the activities in August are aimed to help the freshman get to know people and the building. The freshman go to ten main offices, such as the bookstore, the nurse’s office, etc. The freshman should know where these areas are so when they need help they would know where everything should be.

freshman4Crystal Iniguez
Many mentors remember doing the activity during their freshman year, specifically the fact that their mentors didn’t help them with the clues. They remember running around the entire school trying to look for the clues. Many of the mentors say they would rather lead the activity than do it again. Leading the activity is a bit more fun because the mentors can see how the freshman think and see if they actually know the school. The best advice that mentors can give to their freshman is…. know your school!

freshman2Crystal Iniguez
In addition to illustrating where offices and people are located, the hunt spurs some healthy competition. Well, Ms. Pater says that the mentors are the ones who actually get way too competitive. We’re sure that you remember your mentors arguing with other mentors from other advisories.

This year Ms. Pater changed the rules because she didn’t want it to be about which ACCESS finishes the fastest. The idea is which ACCESS can get the puzzle together correctly! The ACCESS that solved the puzzle correctly will earn a prize. Ms. Pater has kept the prize a secret even from us! The winning ACCESS will know soon enough what the prize is!