Make a Difference Day

Photo from Ms. Lisa Baran Janco via Twitter

Jesus Renteria, Reporter

On a cold saturday morning over 400 Leyden students went to West Leyden to make a difference.  The students hopped on buses to go to the community and volunteer on projects.  That Saturday morning the students had one goal in common,  improving the community and that they did. There were 27 different projects, exactly 495 students, 40 adults and 11 buses. The weather didn’t stop anyone, it was snowing in the morning. The highest was 49 degrees and the lowest was 37 degrees, but students kept working.

This was the 5th Annual Make a Difference Day. The students were greeted with friendly faces in the teachers cafeteria. Teachers made breakfast for students; pancakes, eggs and sausage. A variety of students were there for their clubs, like Spanish and French club.  The 495 students were divided into groups. The students went to different locations; one group went to the park district of Franklin Park and pulled weeds and cleaned the parking lot.  Another group went to the Nursing home and played games with the elderly, like bingo.  Another group stayed at West Leyden and made toys for homeless dogs.  In other words students did many things that saturday morning.

The day ended at the West Leyden teachers cafeteria with students eating pizza and gelato, as a reward for all the hard work they’ve done. Many students sat down at the cafeteria and ate with their friends and talked about what changes they’ve done to the community.