Let it Grow

No Shave November has arrived

Martha Leski, Reporter

Put your razors down, Noshember is here! No, that is not a typing error. Noshember, more commonly known as “No Shave November,” is a unique, national event. Every November, multitudes of males grow out their facial hair in order to raise awareness for male cancers.

Mr. Bill Heisler, boy’s basketball coach and avid No Shave November participator, summarized the cause’s goal. “The purpose of No-Shave November is to raise awareness by embracing our hair, which many cancer patients lose, and letting it grow wild and free. Donate the money usually spent on shaving and grooming for the month to the American Cancer Society,” he explained. “I donate money to this cause each year. I lost my father to throat cancer and have seen so many people impacted by the disease that I always help out with the fundraisers and events that are put on to help combat the disease,” Heisler revealed. “It’s very easy to get involved. You can grow a beard, donate money to the cause, or join the Coaches vs. Cancer event we host at Leyden.”

Leyden’s Hockey team participates in the Coaches vs. Cancer event each season, and works together in a group effort to help the cause. Team captain Robert Boyte summarized the hockey team’s involvement. “During the whole month of November, our coaches grow beards as well as donate, and encourage our team to do the same. Then, as a team, we donate the money we raise to the American Cancer Society.” Boyte shared. “I have been a part of this since I was able to grow facial hair. Helping the cause feels great,” he added.

Even those who do not want to or cannot grow facial hair support the cause. Junior Joey Sansone reflected on his involvement. “I personally do not grow a beard. My family and I donate to the American Cancer Society every year, so that is how I play my part. It feels very rewarding,” Sansone said.

Show your support for male cancer and join Leyden’s staff, coaches, and students on this hairy adventure!