Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts: Benefit Concert in NYC

On November 2, NBC aired a one hour benefit concert for the victims of Hurricane Sandy titled Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together. The commercial-free television special was broadcast live from New York City on all NBC Universal networks, as well as HBO, Sirius Satellite Radio, and local radio stations in New York and New Jersey.

The concert was hosted by NBC’s The Today Show anchor Matt Lauer, who first suggested the idea for the concert to NBC Universal CEO Steve Burke. Proceeds went towards the American Red Cross.

Presenters included Whoopi Goldberg, Brian Williams, Danny DeVito, Al Roker, and Kevin Bacon.

All of the musical performers were from the Mid-Atlantic region that was affected by the storm, primarily New York and New Jersey. The performers in order were: Christina Aguilera, Jon Bon Jovi, Billy Joel, Jimmy Fallon with Steven Tyler, Billy Joel, and Bruce Springsteen, Steven Tyler with Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, Sting, Mary J. Blige, and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

The American Red Cross is estimated to have raised around $23 Million for relief efforts on the eastern seaboard.