Keeping watch over student news at East Leyden High School

Filed under World News

Nation’s Largest Auto Show Set to Kick Off

Lexus LFA shown off in different colors

Lexus LFA shown off in different colors

Przemek Gradzki

Przemek Gradzki

Lexus LFA shown off in different colors

The annual Chicago Auto Show will run from February 9 through 18 and will be held at the McCormick Place.

The 105th annual show will showcase new cars from some of the big auto companies including: Honda, Ford, Subaru, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, and Jeep.

One new interesting vehicle that will be revealed at the auto show is the 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray. The Corvette and the new 2013 Dodge SRT Viper will both be on display for the first time this year.

These two cars are similar in many ways and that is why they are going head to head at this year’s auto show.

The Corvette has a LT1 6.2 L V8 producing an estimated 450 horsepower and torque. The transmission options are a new 7 speed manual transmission with active rev match or a 6-speed paddle shift automatic transmission.

The all new 2013 Dodge SRT Viper has a 8.4 L V10 producing 640 brake horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 600 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm. The only transmission option is a Synchronized 6 speed manual.

Senior Daniel Wolski enjoys going to the Auto Show and he said, “The cars I’m most excited about seeing are definitely the redesigned Corvette and hopefully the new NSX concept.”

The Acura NSX Concept that Wolski is referring to is produced by Honda. The NSX was a production car back in 1990 and then in 2005 production was stopped. Now Honda is bringing back the NSX in a new form, and it is said to enter production in 2015.

As usual there will be concept cars shown that will never go into production because car manufacturers would need to make several changes in order to keep costs down, as well as making them practical for everyday use.

Three concept vehicles that will be at the show are the Ford Atlas Concept, Honda EV-STER Concept and finally the Lexus LF-LC concept.

There is talk that the Ford Atlas Concept could be the new F150 in a few years. The Honda EV-STER Concept is a two seater sports car powered by an electric motor with an output of 78 horsepower and tops at 100 mph.

The Lexus LF-LC concept was shown at last year’s show. This one appeals most as the design is unique. This Lexus is a hybrid, but it is said to produce more than 500 horsepower and will not only give great performance but fantastic fuel efficiency to match, unlike the Lexus LFA with it’s small fuel tank.

There will also be a lot of production vehicles that people can look at and could later purchase at the dealer.

“I’ll have to see what they have available, but so far everything within a reasonable price range seems uninteresting,” Wolski said. “Of course I would love something like a Mercedes SLS AMG, but that’s not really realistic.”

“The only affordable car that interests me would be a Scion FRS or its Subaru counterpart,” he added.

There are also opportunities to take part in the exhibits provided at the auto show. There will be interactive displays from a lot of the automakers. Visitors get the chance to play some simulation games or jump in a jeep and experience the obstacle courses on four different tracks.

Tickets can be purchased online or at the ticket booths at the auto show. Adults tickets are $12 each and children between the ages of 7-12 are $6 each. The hours the show will be open are, February 9-17 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and February 18 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Lexus LFA shown off in different colors

• Nation’s Largest Auto Show Set to Kick Off

News

Harmless Meme or Hate Scheme?

• News

State of the Union: Effects on Leyden

News

Good News: Volume 1

News

Stocks on Rise after Financial Scare based on Chinese Economy

News

Politicians Unfriended

News

Colorado High School Protest

News

New Stickers On Leyden Doors Showcase Recent Law

Arts and Entertainment

The Circus Has Come to Town

World News

Government Shutdown

World News

2013 Consumer Electronics Show Offers Sneak Peek Of Future Gadgets