You Might be the Crabby Kid

Nick Elliott, Reporter

We’ve all had a class with that one grouchy person who consistently ruins our day. Her face is a constant sour puss. Or he refuses to pay attention to anyone, teachers and peers alike. Her “I don’t care attitude” causes you to get angry because you can only be around that much negativity and complaining for a short time.  It may be annoying, but there is a reason why this person, like many teens, has a bad case of Resting B*&^% Face. It is because they are teens–with a number of bad habits that cause grouchiness.

Sleeping is very important for teens because it’s for growth and for your brain to function normally, so you won’t have a hard time concentrating, listening, learning, and remembering things. There are also other consequences for not getting enough sleep as a teen: acne, aggressive behavior, and a hunger for greasy food that could also cause weight gain. Junior Jerry Mcnally does not ever get enough sleep on the school nights because he is not able to go to sleep and has a lot of homework that he doesn’t understand . He said, “I go to bed late every night and wake up for school, and I always have a hard time keeping my eyes open and focusing and concentrating in school.” Sleep deprivation caused Mcnally to not focus normally in school and that caused him not to understand his homework, which he needs to stay up to complete.

Another reason why you neighborhood grouch might be that way is because of an unhealthy, poor diet. Teens tend to not care about what they eat, so they constantly eat fast food and sweets. This can cause teens to be in bad moods or feel very lazy and sleepy. Sophomore Elvina Malkoc had a bad diet problem and was constantly in a horrible mood, people would say. She decided to switch up her diet and go healthier and now she says, “It’s amazing how just switching up small things in your diet can make you so much more energetic and make you feel a lot better.” The greasy fast food in her everyday diet caused her to be in bad moods and not have any energy to do things throughout the day. According to a Fit Day article, “junk food doesn’t contain the nutrients your body needs to stay healthy. As a result, you may feel chronically fatigued and lack the energy you need to complete tasks.”

Both of these problems teenagers carry also have long term effects rather than just stress and crabbiness. Long term effects from not getting enough sleep are aging of skin, forgetful “bad memory,” weight gain, and many other serious consequences. Some long term effects from not having a good diet are obesity, tooth decay, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, and many more things. Both of these unhealthy traits we all sometimes carry in a liftetime have serious consequences that you aren’t aware of and you should be aware of. Here are links to help you get out of your bad habits.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/important-sleep-habits