School Support for Bullying Victims

School Support for Bullying Victims

Martha Leski, Reporter

Bullying in schools is believed to be a normal part of student life. However, when people have this mentality, they forget that bullying is harmful to both the bully and the victim. Students need to recognize the seriousness of the issue, and they also need to recognize that school officials are here to support them.

Jessie James* (not her real name) is a student at East Leyden High School. Her freshman year, she became a victim of school bullying.

“Fights and drama happen in every high school, so I did expect to experience typical high school drama, but I definitely did not expect to be bullied.” Jessie* shared. “About a month after school I started school, I noticed the new friends I had made were starting to isolate themselves from me and ignore me. I didn’t understand why they would do that to me. I soon found out that a couple of girls were spreading rumours and making fun of me behind my back. That quickly turned into directly making fun of me.”

Jessie* recalled an incident that took place in the cafeteria her freshman year.

“While I was eating my lunch, I heard the group of girls who had been spreading rumours and making fun of me, mocking something they heard me say. They were aware that I sat close enough to hear them, and they spoke just loud enough so that I would hear. I went to the Dean’s Office right away. School officials talked to my bullies and assured them that they would be suspended if their behavior continued.”

The verbal bullying took on a different form after it was put to a stop by school officials.

“Shortly after the cafeteria incident, I logged on to Facebook one day and saw that my bullies had tagged each other in a post about me on of their Facebook walls. I printed it out and brought it to the Dean’s office, where they took care of it and immediately suspended the group of girls.” Jessie* explained. “After serving their suspension, my bullies stopped tormenting me. Even though it stopped for good, it still happened and I will never forget that I was a target for bullying. But overcoming this situation made me a stronger person.”

By leaving a mark on a student’s permanent record, a suspension adequately penalizes those who choose to victimize their peers. “Students who choose to verbally or physically hurt others are definitely hurting themselves, too. When you make bad choices like bullying another student, disciplinary action follows.” stated Dean of Students Mr. Dennis Byrne.

Mr. Byrne gave Leyden’s official position on bullying: “Leyden does not tolerate bullying.” Schools should face the facts- bullying is becoming more common. By implementing and enforcing a zero tolerance policy for bullying, high schools can prevent the damage bullying does to both the victim and the bully.

After reading about your peer’s personal experience with overcoming bullying, visit http://www.noplace4hate.org/real-bullying-stories/ for similar stories.