How to Get Over a Breakup

How to Get Over a Breakup

Catrina Sanfilippo, Reporter

You think your life is over. The one you thought you loved, left you. And now what? You ask yourself all sorts of questions and have no clue whom to turn to. Well, you’re not alone. Everyone goes through hard break-ups as they grow up. You need to know that you are not alone and there are many ways you can get over your relationship.

An anonymous teacher from leyden said “ You should talk to  parent/guardian or older sibling that you trust so they can get the right advice.”  Talking to someone that you trust is a great way to get advice on how to get over someone. An older person that you look up to is someone you should really consider talking to. They will be able to guide you in the right direction. 

Anonymous Seniors responded to questions when dealing with a break up.

What are the first steps in getting over a breakup?

• I think the first thing you need to do is completely cut that person out of your life for a while, keeping them there will only make it harder and make your healing process longer. Once you both have let your emotions blow over and let things settle down, you need to talk to each other for the last time, get closure and forgive each other. Not get back together, just forgive each other.
  • The first step is always closure. Make sure if it’s over, it’s really over. Next, eat a huge tub of ice cream inside of a bubble bath, while listening to Single Ladies by Beyonce. Once you have relaxed you have a girls night and spend it with the people who really love you. Lastly, you delete his number, all evidence of his existence, pick up the broken pieces, and move  on.
  • Do things that you have fun doing and that get your mind off the breakup
  • Getting over something like a break up is different for everyone, so it’s hard to say what the “first steps” are. But important steps are surrounding yourself with positive things and people as well as keeping yourself busy. Something that is VERY important is keeping up with your health. It is impossible to tell our minds “to not do something” or “to not think about something” because our mind doesn’t understand the word “not” or “don’t.” It just understands the keywords (Mrs.Minus). So instead of telling yourself to not think about the person or the memories, it’s better to try to shift your focus to other things, more important things

Whats the Best advice you have for moving on?

• Dont waste any energy hating anyone. High school is way too short to be worrying about temporary people and situations. You’re only this young one time. People make mistakes, people come and go, you need to forgive in order to move on, and you need to let go of a few people in order to grow. Not everyone is meant to stay in your life, sometimes they’re just a lesson learned.
  • First things first, you do not get under someone to get over someone. You need to love yourself before you can love someone else. There are no steps to moving on, you just learn to live around it and always know it’s not your fault. Act like nothing phases you.
  • When going through a break up you can give yourself time to be upset but you shouldn’t forget about your other obligations and responsibilities. When trying to move on, whether that be to another relationship or just getting over that ex, it is important to again surround yourself with positive things and people. It’s okay to ask for help. Before you get into another relationship you should really understand yourself and spend some time with yourself: “date yourself.”
  • Just know that things happen for a reason and that the right person will come to you in time

Any other advice you would give someone going through a breakup?

• Always be the bigger person, no matter how hard it may be, it pays off in the end. You are the most important thing, your happiness is the most important thing. Losing someone is hard, but keep yourself occupied, I promise, you do not need anyone if you have a strong mindset, you can push through any challenge thrown your way. You need to make yourself happy.
  • It’s tough but once you look back on it you’ll be a stronger person.
  • You shouldn’t be afraid to get into another relationship or keep up a wall but it’s good to guard yourself to keep yourself safe. Know your standards and what you deserve. You don’t have to compromise because there is going to be someone out there who meets and possibly exceeds your standards.
  • Time will help you get through a breakup because you have so many emotions in you that time is the only thing that can fix it.