Keeping watch over student news at East Leyden High School

Filed under Sports

Girl’s Bowling Prepares for their Striking Season

After a successful season last year, the Girls Bowling team is structuring this season as a way to build the foundation for years to come. With a new batch of talent, the team is set on fine-tuning their skillsets for the long run.

While most students know and support our popular sports teams such as football, the bowling team has been shining in the background. The girls bowling team has been very successful in these recent years by placing 6th last year in state and in the 2014 season coming in 2nd place!

Head Varsity Coach Mr. Christopher Aylward believes that “last season went very well” and stated that the team “over-achieved, having made tremendous gains from the previous year.” With high hopes for this season, Aylward has the team’s eyes on winning conference this year. Aylward is always looking forward to the team’s competitions at which he “gets to see how strong people are mentally” and believes the “more we compete, the better we will be prepared for a potential run in the postseason.”

With a new season comes new players, and the bowling team has gained plenty of freshman to their roster. Joining a team always comes with its pros and cons but Aylward states that he is “looking forward to seeing them learn the game, and to see their confidence grow in the game.” Aylward understands that the transition as a new member of the team is a long process and believes that “if they work hard and listen to what they are being taught, they will make tremendous gains this season.” Being able to watch the players grow and enhance their skillset is something that Aylward enjoys watching.

As those freshmen enter the team, they will be looking at the veterans on the team for guidance. Among those is third-year bowler, Sara Carrillo. Carrillo found her passion for bowling while hanging out with her friends who tagged her along to bowl, ever since then she has been enjoying it. Last year her team advanced to regionals and she is hoping to make it that far again or even further. One of the things that Carrillo is excited for is to show off the new bowling uniforms their team is receiving this season. She thinks “they look really nice and is looking forward to showing the other bowlers.” Carrillo loves the bowling environment and the people who are around it, she loves how they are always happy and kind to each other.

With the bowling team almost winning last season’s conference by losing two matches by a very small margin, expectations are high. The bowling team has been making huge strides in recent years and hopes to continue that through with the foundation they build this season.

• Girl’s Bowling Prepares for their Striking Season

Local Sports

ReRouted: Cross Country dealing with loss of home course

Local Sports

Leyden Volleyball Seeking Support

Local Sports

Teammates Turned Rivals: Homecoming 2017

Sports Columns

Blackballed QB Deserves Spot

Columns

#LeydenFeud

Sports

Guzzi earns “C” during tough season

Local Sports

New Starters Bring Flexibility, Freshness

• Professional Sports

Lovable Winners

Sports

Diving Into the Start of a New Season

Local Sports

Life of a Student Athlete