Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Wrestlers’ Senior Night Brings Mixed Emotions

Today is senior night for the wrestling team at the east field house.The Eagles, who have a 7-10 record for the regular season, go up against Downers Grove North today at 7 pm. This marks the last meet of the regular season and the last time many senior starters will ever wrestle at home.

DGN beat Leyden last year, but they have graduated most of their key wrestlers. Leyden is in a position to win, and for the seniors in the lineup going out with a win is a must.

“We have to go out on a win, it’s the most important thing for our program,” said Head Coach Mike Fumagalli.

The season hasn’t been the best for the Eagles, but winning the last meet brings momentum into the spring wrestling season for Freestyle and Greco Roman wrestling and even next season.

Senior night is a emotional meet for the seniors because it is the last time they will ever wrestle at home or even represent Leyden because it is the last meet of the season.

“You remember all of your matches as a wrestler, but you especially remember your last one,” Coach said.

8 wrestlers in the lineup are seniors and prospects are high that a good handful of them will continue to the sectional tournament. Senior and captain Javier Rhoades qualified for the sectional tournament last year and is in the hunt to place at state this time around.