Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

The Asylum Xperiment Haunted House

Depending on the haunted houses you visit you often get different reactions and scares. Sometime they can be a rip off, others can be worth the wait and the money. The Asylum Xperiment is 45,000 square feet of terror, with three different haunts in one, making it the largest haunted house in the Chicagoland area.

It starts you off right away with scares the minute you turn the corner. The first place you enter is ‘The House’ which is filled with the different rooms of the house. It’s quite creepy because it is literally like walking through a normal house, just filled with a bunch of psychopaths and what not. The kitchen had to be the best room because it smelled awful – like a kitchen that hadn’t been cleaned in years. Plus, body parts littered the room and there were bugs on the floor, walls and cabinets. The part that got me the most was the little boy being force fed by his mother, which was most likely oatmeal, but looked disgusting to eat.

The second part of the haunt is called “Blackout.” This part was my favorite part of the whole haunt because you are literally in the dark and cannot see a single thing the whole time, not even the person in front of you.

The actors are screaming and banging on the walls as you find your way through tight spaces in the dark. As you are heading back into the light, you go through a strobe light room leading into the moving optical illusion bridge, which for me was really trippy.

From the blackout room you go into the final haunt called “Armageddon,” which is basically a construction scene gone bad, which leads into the hospital that turns its patients into clowns.

This part scared me the most because I am terrified of clowns and I could not help screaming. The construction sight was really surreal with actual cars, real street signs, and the whole section smelled like gasoline, which just made you feel like you were in a real construction site.

Exiting the haunt you walked into a cloud of fog and could hardly see what was in front of you, not to mention you were being chased by dead construction workers with chainsaws.

Throughout the house, actors popped out of every corner possible, giving everyone a good scream, and their makeup was excellent with props that were very believable.

I would highly suggest going to The Asylum Xperiment and checking it out for yourself. General admission is $25 or $40 for VIP, which lets you skip the lines. The haunt lasts around a half an hour, and it’s well worth your money and the screams.

It is located at 1033 North Villa Avenue in Villa Park. The times vary but they are usually open Fridays and Saturdays from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m. and Thursdays and Sundays from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. For a full schedule, you can visit their website at http://www.asylumxperiment.com/jsite/ It ends Halloween night, so go check it out soon.