Juniors head into ACT Prep classes with anxiety, hope

Jonjalee Fisher, Reporter

ACT Prep classes started December 9, with Leyden juniors beginning their preparation via a practice test. This test places them in a class that’ll help them have the most impact on their ACT test score.

Following the test, one junior said it was just like the “ISAT test we took in middle school.”

Overall, the classes are used to help students prepare for the actual test and learn helpful tips and tricks. And the many juniors who are getting anxious as the ACT slowly approaches are also looking to the class for help.

Azu Whigham explained, “I’m expecting to be taught tricks and shortcuts that will make the test easier and make me completely prepared to take it, yet I am scared because I know that if I want to get into college for athletics, college at all, I need a certain score.”

Vicky Valentin explained, “I’m more scared of the pressure of getting a good score because ACT is the main thing colleges look at, so there’s a lot of pressure to do really well on it. I think the outcome of taking ACT Prep classes would be me understanding more on how the test format will be and I’ll be more relaxed when taking the test because of all the extra practice.”

Another Junior, Jacob Martinez is going into his ACT Prep classes with a very positive mind. He explained that he will walk into the act test with a clear mind and will make sure that he doesn’t get fazed under pressure. His goal is to get a great score not only for himself but because he would like to beat his brother’s score. “I hope my outcome will be a better score than my older brother because he always talks a lot, and it’s time for me to show him who’s boss.”

Seniors who have taken the class say that it was very beneficial. Savannah Rose explained that students should not be anxious and nervous as the test comes up. She believes that the ACT Class only helps you and prepares you for the test.

Senior Wayllon Lu explained what he got from taking prep classes his junior year. “What I got out of prep classes were useful strategies that don’t involve actually knowing the material.  For example, with the science prep class, we learned what information to ignore and what information was essential. Some advice I would give to juniors is try to attend as many classes as you can.  Also, do some of the ‘homework’ assignments the teachers give you.”

Victoria Baez also explained, “ACT Prep was great for getting comfortable with the timing of the ACT. That way there was less stress the day of. I would recommend for the juniors to go to all practice test days, and make sure to put the same effort they intend on doing for the real test. That way they have a more accurate result. Also, try any learned tricks from ACT prep classes on one of the earlier tests in order to see if it actually was a benefit. Simple stuff [like] to check in your bubbles to make sure you didn’t skip, and that they’re filled.”