Keeping watch over student news at East Leyden High School

Bye Bye Birdie

Bye Bye Birdie Cast

Photo: Tori Novak

Bye Bye Birdie Cast Photo: Tori Novak

We all love a good romantic comedy that has a good hook and leaves us at the edge of our chair. Those moments that will have us wondering what’s coming next. If he’s going to choose this girl or the other. Just an overall production that leaves us talking about it for quite some time. All this and more can be found in Leyden’s fall play, Bye Bye Birdie.

Wanting to know more about the play, I went ahead and asked senior Emerson Becker about all the great things the play had to offer. She had plenty to say about this production was about and why we should go see it.

“You should go watch the play because it’s a super fun and cute story and we have a lot of talent going up on that stage to perform,”  said Emerson Becker. She also added, “The show is about an Elvis-like rock star named Conrad Birdie who gets drafted into the Army. His manager, Albert, and his secretary, Rosie, come up with a contest in which one Birdie fan gets to kiss Conrad before he goes. The kiss will be televised and Conrad will perform his new hit song, “One Last Kiss”. Birdie and his team are taken to Sweet Apple, Ohio, where Kim MacAfee, winner of the contest, is waiting along with the Conrad Birdie Fan Club. A lot of stuff happens after that, but I don’t want to spoil it!”

She also emphasized all the hard work that the crew has put in in just a few short weeks. “The effort each member has put in is incredible. The teamwork is what really brought this show together, and having everyone cooperate is what makes the play more enjoyable. Everyone is in love with their part and they embrace it to the max. Having everyone come into practice ready to give it their all is what keeps us motivated to do the best we can.”

Although the crew has done an amazing job working together, Emerson also told me the struggles of having to do all this in such a short amount of time. “Well, we only have 5 weeks to put the whole show together” she said, “It has been really hard to learn everything like lines, choreography, and music so quickly.”

She left me wanting more, but that’s all she could tell me. Emerson made sure she let me know that you can catch the show on September 28th and 29th at 7:00 and September 30th at 3:00 in the West Leyden auditorium.

If you want to see the show you can get tickets on the Leyden Choir website, www.leydenchoir.weebly.com , and if you don’t buy them online, that’s okay! You can buy them at the door on the day of the show, but it is recommended you buy them in advance. We hope all students can come out and watch the play so you can support your fellow students and finds out what happens to Birdie before he gets drafted.

• Bye Bye Birdie

Arts and Entertainment

Monochromatic Photos

• Bye Bye Birdie

Arts and Entertainment

Comic Con Review

• Bye Bye Birdie

Arts and Entertainment

Play On: Geek and The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip

• Bye Bye Birdie

Arts and Entertainment

A Benefit for Gregory William Morgan

• Bye Bye Birdie

Arts and Entertainment

Pursuing Arts After High School

• Fine Arts Spotlight

Winter Play Provides Another Perspective of Mortality

• Bye Bye Birdie

Arts and Entertainment

Living Your Potential

• Fine Arts Spotlight

Chambers Preparing for Annual Events

• Bye Bye Birdie

Arts and Entertainment

From Screen to Sculpture

• Arts and Entertainment

Fall Play FAQ

Bye Bye Birdie