Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Recent Trend on Asking Someone Out to Homecoming Requires Creativity

Right now everyone is talking about Homecoming, specifically how they are getting asked to the dance. In the past, everyone just asked each other face to face and a recent trend has people asking out their dates in creative ways.

Recently, senior Melina Rodriguez was asked in a very creative way. Her boyfriend took her out to breakfast on an inservice morning, where he surprised her with pancakes that had the word “Homecoming?” written out in strawberry icing.

“I was really surprised because I didn’t think it would be that day.” Rodriguez actually thought that “it was going to be on the weekend.”

Melina also said that she appreciates how he takes into consideration that she’s more a bit more reserved and that’s something her boyfriend incorporated. Instead of having an audience, he made it personal by asking her in a place where he knew only she would be around.

“He made it more personal,” Rodriguez added.

Melina wasn’t the only one to get asked in a creative way. Senior and Poms dancer Michelle Bogdan got asked as well.

While waiting to perform for the half-time show at a recent football game, Michelle got called from the intercom to look towards the track.

“I was kind of confused because I had heard my name being called on the loud speaker, so I thought something had happened. I was really nervous in front of everyone,” she said.

But when she looked, she saw a row of kids lined up each holding a poster with a letter spelling out “Homecoming?”

Just like Melina, Michelle felt like her personality was incorporated into the event.

“He used all the neon colors I love on the posters, and he wore a hat that he knows I love to death.”

Asking someone to homecoming in a creative way may seem like fun, but it comes with a lot of work. With asking someone comes the big part of deciding how and when?

Senior Tyler Jones had to come up with a unique way of asking his date, who doesn’t attend East Leyden.

“I wanted to make it different than what most people do,” he said.

Coming up with a unique way of asking came with time, planning and preparing.

“It actually took me awhile to choose which way I wanted to ask because I had three in mind. All the other plans had some work. You had to plan ahead.”

Yet, even the best of plans can fall through.

“When I asked [her] it was just last minute [because] her friend called and said ‘Do it, she’s home right now.’ I ended up just getting a poster board and candy and cookies and just going to surprise her.”

With a last minute plan, anything could have happened and Jones was hoping for a good reaction.

“I was so nervous. I knew she was gonna’ say yes, but I was just nervous because the action of asking someone out to homecoming is just scary.”

Asking someone out to Homecoming will always be part of the tradition, but how you ask is changing. Now getting asked to Homecoming is more of a project than just a simple question. Planning, prepping, and the shocks and surprises are part of what adds to that excitement of homecoming night.