Snowball De-Stressing Leyden

Shelsea Reynoso, In Focus Editor

Finals are stressful: getting your review packets in, preparing last minute homework, and bringing your grade up to its highest.

Because Operation Snowball believes that relieving students stress will help them go into their finals more confident, they are postponing their usual sobriety-centered work. During this week’s exams the club will be hosting events looking to de-stress Leyden.

“The biggest issue for teenagers is that they are exhausted because they don’t know how to stop. There is no down time for you guys,” club sponsor Ms. Patricia Muldoon said. The club’s shift in focus mostly comes from the understanding that kids sometimes turn to substances to relieve them of stress. Snowball looks to stop this reality by providing the following resources.

During every lunch period, Snowball leaders will be selling stress balls for only $2. Stress balls are said to relieve you of tension, help with self harm, and enhance your mood. Also, Snowball will be hosting meditation and yoga sessions throughout finals. Meditation is at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, December 15 in Library Classroom C; Yoga at 7:30 a.m., on Wednesday, December 16 in the Dance Studio; Yoga at 12:00 p.m., on Thursday, December 17 in the Dance Studio; and Meditation at 7:30 a.m., on Friday, December 18 in Library Classroom C.

Ms. Muldoon explained how she hopes this will help. “To be able to get rid of stress can take some pressure off of teens. Stress is exhausting, it’s not good physically, it’s not good mentally. Especially around finals the stress level accentuates tremendously and we want to be able to provide a healthy way to reduce that stress.” Muldoon added, “If we can bring that mindfulness to students to be aware of what they are feeling and their emotions, we’d probably see more smiles on faces than exhaustion.” A stress-free week will lead you to go into your finals feeling at ease and calm. Take time to relax and join Snowball in opposing stress.