Honoring Cisco

Faculty Basketball Game Latest Tribute to Late Sophomore

Catrina Sanfiippo

Students gather to honor Cisco Orocho

Catrina Sanfilippo, Reporter

A completely unexpected brain aneurysm cut short the life of sophomore Cisco Arocho on January 28. Leyden students and organizations have been raising funds to support the family.

Last night, the Leyden community, both staff and students, came out to support the cause again by attending the annual faculty basketball game.

The East faculty team won last night's game. But the real winner is the Leyden family.
Catrina Sanfilippo
The East faculty team won last night’s game. But the real winner is the Leyden family.

As usual, Leyden staff from East and West competed against each other on the court. But this year, the stands were filled with blue shirts stating, “I wear blue for Cisco.” Profits from these shirt sales, a raffle, food at the game, and other items will all be donated to the Arocho family.

At half time Mr. Tim Murphy took the mic, and asked Cisco’s mother to rise. Everyone clapped. Then the voices from the stands died out, and everyone took a moment to showed her how much we grieve and want to help her during this rough time.

To many Cisco was a great friend. West Leyden junior Emily Kaup tweeted, “Breaks my heart to see someone go so young, My prayers go out to the Arocho family. Gone but never forgotten. #RIPCISCO.”