Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Gender War: Prom Proposal

Prom. Prom? Prom! Prom!? Prom!!?? How should you ask your date to prom? Certainly not by repeatedly asking “Prom?” until you eventually start screaming it from the top of your lungs. That just might scare her away. Or cause her to file a restraining order against you. Read on to see how our two gender representatives wrestle with the question, “When it comes to the prom proposal, do I need to go big or go home?”

I, Pedro, think that you should swing for the fences. Buy a puppy, light a candle, set a fire, throw a fish, release butterflies. Do whatever freaky stuff you’re into.

When girls, like me, think about prom, we think about the movies: where the boy and the girl go to prom, fall in love, and live happily ever after. But the truth is that’s Hollywood; things like that don’t happen. And if they do, it doesn’t go for us the way it does for the actors. While Pedro stands behind the motto, “Go Big or Go Home,” I disagree. Guys should keep it small and not make a huge deal out of it.

Of course life’s not like in the movies. That’s exactly why you should put your all into asking a girl to prom. Our everyday lives aren’t always so spectacular, and that should drive you to want to create a special moment spectacular enough to be in a movie–not discourage you into making your prom moments as average as your everyday life!

I’m not sitting here saying you shouldn’t put thought into it, I’m not sitting here saying you shouldn’t make it special for her, but special doesn’t have to mean gigantic. Chances are, if she feels the same way about you that you do her, anything you do will be special to her. Make it so she’ll be touched, not the whole population.

When I say “Go Big or Go Home,” I mean put all your effort into making it special, and if the whole population witnesses that special moment, what’s wrong with that? You don’t necessarily have to bust into her fourth period class dressed up as a taco shouting “WILL YOU GO TO PROM WITH ME?” I mean…if she is into that…then power to the taco. But if she loves the stars maybe a better idea would be to do something involving stars, like maybe wearing a star costume and shouting in her fifth period class.

There’s nothing wrong with the whole population witnessing the special moment, but before you do it, ask this question: will it really be as special as you’d hoped? As a girl who could potentially get asked to prom in a “Go Big or Go Home” kind of way, I would feel obligated to say yes. Imagine sitting at a football game, basketball game, tennis match, swim meet, ping pong, etc. Out of the blue, you get asked to go to prom with Little Johnny in some elaborate, drawn out way. Are you going to be the girl who’s like, “Eh, no….Thanks though!” You would forever be known as the girl who crushed Little Johnny’s dreams. NOT IDEAL.

The whole population watching would add to the specialness! Not make her feelings seem less important! Do the best you can to ask her in a way that will make her feel special. Make her feel like she is living a scene from a movie. If you did it successfully, she will most likely say yes, not because she feels she has to, but because she will want to.

Having the whole population wouldn’t make it more special. It would put more pressure on both of you. When you’re doing something that important, you already have all those nerves and pressure. The last thing you need is a thousand eyes beaming onto you. Unless you are one hundred thousand million percent sure she is going to say yes, do NOT “Go Big or Go Home.” That’s one sure way to publicly humiliate the girl you might’ve had a crush on or end up with a prom date who wanted to say no. Keep it simple, keep it sweet, keep it small.