Three Things to Know Before You Sag Your Pants

Robert Gussy, Social Media and Maketing Manager

No One Wants to See Your Underwear: Everyday in the halls you are almost guaranteed to see someone’s (who is usually male) pants sagging way below their waistline. Now, I try to not judge others, but when people voluntarily expose their underwear and call it “fashion,” the line that determines what is acceptable school conduct and what isn’t is called into question. When someone sags their pants, it reflects badly on them-stereotypes are applied and these people are written off by strangers, including prospective employers.

The Origin: In his article for NPR (National Public Radio) about the history of “the sag,” Gene Demby explores where this style originated:  “Convicts prohibited from wearing belts often wore sagging prison-issued uniforms, and they carried that look with them once they were back on the outside. Another story goes that some prisoners would wear their pants low to let other inmates know they were sexually available.” If the sagging started in prison, people shouldn’t be presenting themselves like that.

The Laws/Regulations: In Ocala, FL, it is becoming a criminal offense for someone to sag their pants. More and more places are passing laws similar to this own, and soon, those who sag in public might receive a fine up $500 or several months in jail. High schools nationwide are also cracking down on the saggers:“School districts have become more aggressive in enforcing dress bans”(New York Times). I’ve observed teachers say “pull up your pants,” but that doesn’t really get the student to stop sagging. Sagging your pants is unattractive and shouldn’t be condoned with its gang and prison origin.

In his article, Gene Demby writes, “Everyone who thought he was cool as a teenager and reaches his 30s will look back at photos of himself from high school and cringe mightily.”  I think Leyden should be more strict on the pants sag policy because it may develop a better image for the students, so people won’t have to cringe when they get older. Creating a better image for students will also create a better image for Leyden.