Golf edges OPRF

Jodi Dubrock, Reporter

Leyden’s Golf Team just stole a win from Oak Park River Forest in their match on August 23rd. Throughout the match the eagles were up by one and then OPRF would come in for the tie. They ended the match a stroke ahead and snatched the win from their fingers. Ryan Langer and Tommy McDonald are members of the Golf Program here at Leyden. This year has been a success so far for both of them as a team and as individuals also. Ryan (senior 17’) is on the varsity golf team (2-2 so far) and when asked about the win against OPRF he said, “We played a really great match. It was one of the best we’ve played because each one of our individual scores were some of the best we’ve had.” With this mentality, The Varsity team is planning on taking on Maine West during the Eagle invite (White Pines Golf Course)  this Saturday for a revenge match. Leyden lost to Maine West by 4 strokes when the versed them on August 24th. Ryan said he knew how he was going to overcome this loss and what he was going to work on and he said now that he knows what Maine West has to offer he can work on the little things to make him and his team have a better overall score. He also said that because this is a home match his team has an advantage already. Ryan said he has been playing golf since his 8th grade year and plans on going to play in college. He said even if he doesn’t play in college he is lucky enough to have the ability to always play golf, even if it’s just for fun. Tommy (freshman 20’) is on the JV golf team here at Leyden and he said his experiences have been great so far. As a freshman he likes being apart of the golf team because a lot of his friends are doing it and he enjoys the sport. Tommy started playing in 7th grade and wishes to play in college when the time comes. Both athletes have had great experiences on golf and will continue throughout their season, keep it up!