Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Super Bowl XLVII: More Than Just A Championship Game

The stage is set for this tonight’s Super Bowl XLVII game which will feature the San Francisco 49ers taking on the Baltimore Ravens at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana at 5:30 pm (Central Time) on CBS.

America’s biggest sports night will feature new and unique twists: history will be made as this is the first time two brothers will face each other as head coaches. However, Jim Harbaugh, 49er’s head coach, and John Harbaugh, Raven’s head coach, are in good spirits, and wished each other luck in a joint press conference on Friday.

Another big story playing out on field tonight is the fact that this is the final game of Raven’s linebacker Ray Lewis’ hall of fame career. Lewis won the Super Bowl with the Ravens in 2000 and is hoping to lead the team to victory one more time before he calls it quits.

In recent weeks Lewis has been plagued with rumors that he used a form of steroid known as “deer antler spray” earlier in the season to help recover from a shoulder injury, but he has denied those allegations.

The most important aspect of the game, outside of the game itself, is the television advertisements

The new twist this year is that many companies who are advertising in this year’s game have released “teaser” ads on both the web and T.V. as a preview to the ones that will be aired Sunday night. Taco Bell, Mercedes-Benz, and Ford are a few of the companies that have promoted their spots ahead of time.

Leyden has a big football fanbase comprised of both students and faculty who will be watching the game, and every family and group of friends will be celebrating in their own way.

Senior Tim Hester, who played lineman and tackle for the Leyden Eagles varsity football team, said he usually watches the game at a friend’s house with other friends.

Food is another essential staple for Super Bowl fans, and Hester and friends go with the traditional game-day meal. “We usually have pizza and wings along with whatever our moms make.”

“Our pregame ritual is to eat as much as possible before kickoff,” he added.

Hester says he will be rooting for San Francisco to come away with the victory.

“I like the way the 49er’s are coached, and I believe they can beat the Ravens,” Hester said, but added, “I’ll either be wearing my Brian Urlacher or Jerry Rice jersey since the 49er’s are in the Super Bowl.”

Some fans are more into the game than others, and that is clearly reflected when watching the game.

“My favorite thing is the intensity of the game, everyone knows they have to play their hardest,” Hester said. “I’m going to celebrate this year by being louder than I usually am while watching the game.”

Pregame festivities will be televised all day before the game on the NFL Network, and the game will be televised nationally on CBS. The national anthem will be sung by Alicia Keys, and the halftime show will feature Beyoncé.

3
View Comments (3)