Classes to Choose Next Year!

Errol Lucas, Reporter

With registration underway, students should know about new courses available for the upcoming 2016 – 2017 school year. Are you still stumbling on what electives you want to take? Here are a couple that will be new for everyone next year.

All Female Engineering Class

The industrial tech department has set up an all-female section of the course, Introduction to Engineering Honors. “Females are underrepresented in our STEM classes and in the engineering field.  One of the issues I have seen over the years has been a fear or lack of comfort in taking a class that has a large percentage of male students.  It can be tough to be the only girl in class.  Having a class run that is just for females would prevent that stress. We are looking to change that,” chairperson Mr. Frank Holthouse explained.

With this whole new change in the course, females can now be more comfortable and represented in this engineering class next year. This course is available as a whole year class. (1 credit). And it is available to all grade levels for next year. This course also provides college credit, which is helpful to all students. “This a great course that offers COLLEGE CREDIT!  Students who earn a 6 or higher out of 9 possible points on the final exam are issued transcript credit from the University of Iowa that are transferable!” Mr. Holthouse expressed. It’s like taking an AP class but in that regard, but it earns honors credit.

All Females - Intro to Engineering
All Females – Intro to Engineering

IED honors is the first of three Engineering/STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) classes offered at Leyden. “The course allows student to learn the fundamentals of 3D design and 3D printing,” Mr. Holthouse said. So this course will provide students planning to be an engineer in the future a start down a full track of courses. According to Holthouse, this class will constantly be challenging students and asking them to direct their own learning. Mr. Holthouse said, “I encourage students to take any PLTW / STEM / or Engineering course because these classes strengthen critical thinking and problem solving skills.  These skills are highly valued in any career. I hope to see you in the fall!”

Le nouveau classes de Francais AP / Il nuovo classe per Italiano AP

Modern Language will add courses for those ready to study at the advanced level in two languages. French AP and Italian AP will be available to those who are taking French and Italian 4 Honors students.

”They can sign-up for the option next fall in the French 4 Honors/Italian 4 Honors class if students are up for the challenge of AP and want to prepare to take the French/Italian AP exam,” chairperson Mrs. Celida Kipp explained. To take part in this AP class, you need to have completed level 3 of French or Italian. In preparation for French AP, “We practice speaking and listening skills every day and with movies. We read authentic texts. The readings involved are texts that might be on the AP Exam. We read Le Monde, a Paris newspaper, every day. We also do oral presentations,” Mrs. Kipp described.

In preparation for Italian AP, students will have similar preparation: “We also practice speaking and listening skills every day. We read authentic texts. We blog in Italian and keep an Italian journal. We read the Italian newspaper ‘La Repubblica’ and watch TG1: the news from one of Italy’s most important television channels. We watch movies to improve not only our comprehension, but also to delve deeper into Italian culture. We practice the various parts of the AP exam,” Mrs. Kipp explained.

Mrs. Kipp also explained on how these courses were implemented through high demand: “Many past students have received a score of 3, 4 or 5; therefore, current students are motivated to take it.  Lastly, students felt that if they are getting AP credit in other courses, they would like to receive AP credit for their language class as well.”

Mrs. Kipp truly recommends this to all of our students: “Students in our department are very successful and receive the highest AP scores in the school. Our teachers prepare students well, but most of all our teachers are quite passionate about their languages. They provide a lot of support and will do anything to help their students!”