Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Symphonic Band At The Chicago Symphony Center

On April 17 Leyden’s Symphonic Band performed at the Chicago Symphony Center where they opened for the Elmhurst College’s wind ensemble and symphonic band.

Many high schools don’t get the opportunity to play at the Chicago Symphony Center because it is very expensive to rent out the facility. Leyden’s Symphonic Band was given the opportunity to play at the Chicago Symphony Center because Elmhurst covered most of the cost.

This was the first year that Leyden’s Symphonic band was invited to play at the Chicago Symphony Center. Leyden’s symphonic band teacher, Bryan Miller gave his students the good news at the beginning of the school year letting them know what an honor and great opportunity it was to be able to perform in such a well-known downtown facility.

“I was so excited because of the fact it was a big honor to do this and I would never get the chance to do something like this ever again, so I cherished every moment of it,” symphonic band student Victoria India said.

India also added that she was very nervous, but knew that she wouldn’t make a mistake because the band had been practicing the same songs since the beginning of the school year.

“ I was in my element” she added.

Many friends and family of the Leyden symphonic band students attended the concert.

Among those in attendance was freshman concert band student Dulce Paz.

“My favorite part of watching the performance was when Mrs. Tara Cappelletti perform with the wind ensemble because she practices what she preaches,” Paz said.

Leyden’s symphonic band also invited former alumni dating back from over seven generations for the opportunity to play along with the band at the Chicago Symphony Center.

“ Some of the greatest band have performed there, architecturally it is very beautiful, and I think it was interesting seeing former alumni getting the opportunity to perform with Leyden’s band once again,” Paz added.

“I enjoyed every second of it and didn’t want to get off stage,” India said.