Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Leyden’s Lunch and Learns Provide Seniors Added Support

The year may be flying by for seniors, but while that may seem like a good thing, it brings on the realities of college applications, FAFSA applications and personal essays for college.

Filling out applications and turning them in on time with everything needed is a long process, yet there are many helpful activities during school that students can attend to help them manage the college application process.

The college fair has been around for years and has been very helpful in introducing students to colleges that are nearby as well as different colleges that Leyden students have attended.

This year, along with the college fair, East Leyden’s Student Services has had many Lunch and Learns to help educate students on applications and the do’s and don’ts for colleges.

During the Lunch and Learns, East Leyden counselors and university representatives give advice and information to students who are applying to their schools as well as others. They also provide valuable information to students about what is to come and how to be prepared. Knowing what to do can help maximize your chances at getting a school to notice you and your application.

“It’s [Lunch and Learns] helpful because you’re navigating something that’s foreign to you,” East Leyden counselor Christine Schulz added. “…the helpful thing about the Lunch and Learns is that they are set at a time where people who are interested can come.”

The Lunch and Learns are scheduled during lunch periods so that every student has an opportunity to attend. With students having work, clubs, homework and other after school commitments, the Lunch and Learns make it more convenient for students to become informed and get help.

The Lunch and Learns also provide for a more personal environment: counselors are available to help you fill out college applications, revise personal essays and statements, as well as give students advice on what to do and what’s to come.

The next Lunch and Learn events will be in November 7 and 28, January 16, February 20, March 6 and 20, and April 3 and 17.