Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Thanksgiving More Than Just A Great Meal

We all know that Thanksgiving is that traditional American holiday originally created by the Pilgrims to give thanks to God after their difficult struggles in the New World. They decided to have a feast in memory of the ones they lost and to celebrate their accomplishments of surviving and thriving in the New World.

For many of us, Thanksgiving has little ties to the Pilgrims’ original purpose and instead has evolved into a time of reflection and gratitude.

Below are thoughts from a few students and staff about what Thanksgiving means to them.

“Thanksgiving means family to me, but I also become very reflective about things during this time. Maybe it’s because I have a day off and have some time to think, or maybe it’s because of the nature of this holiday. I think a lot about how lucky I am to be an American and the freedom I am given in this country. I think about how lucky I am to have such a wonderful family and to be surrounded by love my entire life. I think about how lucky I am to have a career in something I love and a great job with wonderful students I get to work with each and every day. Most importantly, I am thankful for my family and getting this day to celebrate with my family.”

– Choir Director Stacy Cunningham

“Thanksgiving means that you get to bring your family together and give thanks for having who you still have in life and appreciate who isn’t there anymore and eating A LOT of food.”

Senior Selena Saucedo

“I get to stop and reflect and really take in what I’m grateful for on a daily basis, and it’s really a time for me to get together with family and friends and celebrate what we have.”

AP Psychology teacher Maura Gavin

“Thanksgiving is a time where you say thank you for everything you have in life, being together with family.. and eat a lot of food!”

Senior Kassandra Castillo

“Thanksgiving, to me, means getting together with family, being surrounded by everyone that I love and care for, and [I] am extremely grateful for them. It makes me think of everything that I am thankful for: my family, my kids, my husband [and] the love that I feel when I’m around all of them….and just the feeling of warmth and togetherness.”

Pre- calc teacher Marcy Kinnane

“It means being with my family and friends”

Senior Amanda Rivera

1
View Comments (1)