Leyden Hockey: Young and New

Christina Leon, Staff Reporter

robert.jpg
Captain Robert Boyte Photo from: https://www.facebook.com/LeydenEaglePhotosByPete

With a new school year comes a new season. Although many of the varsity’s key starters have graduated, returning players plan to make best of their season. With the addition of two new young coaches, Mike Cronin and Tony Cruz, returning senior Joe Bianchi thinks that it will be a good year. He says, “The team this year may not have the size that we had in previous seasons, but with the addition of new freshman to the team we will be a force to be reckoned with. We may not be the team that people look at and [are] scared of because of our small size, but when they see the quickness of this team, it will scare them.”

Robert Boyte, four year varsity player and captain, says that although they have many new players that aren’t used to the high school level, they are working hard. As a captain, Boyte hopes to push everyone to their fullest potential and encourage everyone to work together to be focused but also make it a fun environment. Alternate Captain, Louis Monette, says that many of the seniors on the team have taken a role of leadership and stepped up to help the younger kids and make them stronger. “We have good chemistry because most of us have been playing together for years and we continue to grow as a team. I plan to have a victorious season,” Monette says.

Mike Pasterz, freshman and starting goalie for Leyden, says that, “I don’t feel a lot of pressure as a freshman because I have been playing hockey since I was five, but the high school level is definitely a bit faster than what I’m used to.”  With many young players on the team Leyden looks to build their team so that they have a stronger foundation for the years to come. Pasterz continues to say that, “I’m excited for the rest of the season and we hope to have a record over 500.”

The boys won by a landslide at their home opener on October 1 against Fenwick, with an ending score of 5-1. As they get deeper into the season they continue to grow as a team. Their current record is 1-2-0 and their next home game is on Wednesday October 22, 2014 at the Franklin Park Ice Arena at 9 p.m.