Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Watching over East Leyden

Kindness Campaign Brings Smiles, Hugs To East Leyden

There is a group of teachers and students that take time out of their mornings about once a week to hold up signs of encouragement in hopes of spreading a positive message to those walking into East Leyden High School.

This group, headed by principal Jason Markey, is spreading kindness in hopes that it becomes contagious and others spread the kindness to someone else that might need an extra boost to help get them through the day.

The idea emerged when principal Markey watched a video over winter break about a man in Washington D. C. who wrote messages such as “Honk if you love someone” on posters and would hold up the signs on the sidewalks. As people and cars went by he noticed that many people responded in a positive way.

Principal Markey was inspired by the video and together with Student Activities Director  Dominic Manola the idea of creating a similar experience here at East began.

Principal Markey and Mr. Manola, along with several other teachers and students, made it into a reality a week after winter break.

Now, about once a week, the group gets together and holds up signs with encouraging messages such as “Smile!” or “Have a nice day!” and modern languages teacher Beatrice Porro even offers free hugs.

“The whole thing is loosely organized in just pushing for kindness,” Manola said. “We are looking to organically grow a culture of people being kind to each other.” 

The group typically meets on Tuesday or Thursday and anyone is welcome to join. Principal Markey encourages students to bring a friend and a sign with a positive message that they would like to spread as students and teachers get to decide what goes on the posters.

There have been a couple of very cold days, but that hasn’t stopped the group from going out and spreading the kindness. As the weather improves, Mr. Manola hopes to come up with more ideas for the kindness crew. 

“We would love to see this grow. As it gets warmer maybe we can go down to the railroad tracks to pick up trash or clean up along 25th,” Manola said.

It seems like the messages are working because Mr. Markey has heard a lot of positive feedback from both teachers and students, yet he is always open to hearing new ideas from students.

“We don’t really know where this will go, but one of the most important things we need to do as a school is lead with kindness to create a positive environment where students want to be,” he added.

If you are interested in joining follow Principal Markey on Twitter or search for the #LeydenPride for information on when they will get together. The kindess crew meets by the student activities office or the visitor’s desk at the main entrance around 7:05.

You can also check in with Mr. Manola or social studies teacher Caroline Holtgrewe for more information. The group stops around 7:30 a.m so that everyone has time to get to their first period class.

2
View Comments (2)